Untitled Document
Find us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Subscribe to us on Youtube!
Find us on Google+
On Campus
Monday, 17 March 2014 00:00

UTB gets first assistant chief of police

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)
University of Texas System Director of Police Michael J. Heidingsfield (left) administers the oath of office to Michael Olguin, who has been appointed assistant chief of police for UT-Brownsville. The ceremony took place March 3 in the Main Building’s Salón Cassia. University of Texas System Director of Police Michael J. Heidingsfield (left) administers the oath of office to Michael Olguin, who has been appointed assistant chief of police for UT-Brownsville. The ceremony took place March 3 in the Main Building’s Salón Cassia. Blanca Villarreal/Collegian

The University of Texas at Brownsville held a commissioning ceremony March 3 to swear it’s first assistant police chief.

University of Texas System Police Director Michael J. Heidingsfield administered Michael R. Holguin’s oath in the Main Building’s Salón Cassia.

“This is unprecedented, the first assistant chief of police position here at this university police department,” Heidingsfield said. “With Mike, you will embrace a proven leader, a man of demonstrable skills and background, a wealth of experience and the savvy and the acumen to contribute so substantively to the leadership of this police department.”

Holguin was accompanied by his wife, Heidi Holguin, and his two sons. 

He thanked UTB President Juliet V. García and Provost Alan Artibise, Heidingsfield and Assistant Provost for Governmental Relations Ben Reyna for allowing him to become part of the UTB family.

“And last, but certainly not least, my beautiful, incredible wife and my awesome little guys over there,” Holguin said.Raised in El Paso, Holguin earned a degree in communication and advertising with a minor in business administration from the University of Texas at Arlington and a master’s degree in liberal studies from Texas Christian University. 

“Mr. Holguin has a total of 19 years in law enforcement and has held various positions, most recently as the Arlington Police Department’s Commander of the Special Investigations Division, which includes five specialized criminal investigative units,” Reyna said. “Prior to serving at the Arlington Police Department, Mr. Holguin also served with the Dallas Police Department for two years. He is a Texas Leadership and Command college graduate and has completed the FBI’s Command Institute for law enforcement executives.”

Holguin expressed his eagerness to work with the University Police staff.

“It is my honor and privilege to come and serve you and to be part of the UT-Brownsville family,” Holguin said.

Previously, John Cardoza served as UTB’s police chief. Cardoza retired in December 2012. With the upcoming consolidation of UTB and UT-Pan American, officials decided not to hire a police chief and instead hire an assistant police chief, Reyna told The Collegian in an article published Sept. 9, 2013.

Read 487 times
Cleiri Quezada

Collegian Editor

Latest Issue

Find us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Subscribe to us on Youtube!
Find us on Google+